School newspaper of Academy of the Holy Names, Tampa

Academy Students Choose Their Favorite Books

March 8, 2018

Reading%2C+a+favorite+pastime+of+many+Academy+girls%2C+is+a+nice+escape+from+the+reality+of+school.+
Reading, a favorite pastime of many Academy girls, is a nice escape from the reality of school.

Photo Credit: Juliana Ferrie/Achona Online

As Academy students navigate through their busy schedules, they treasure any free time they can acquire. Alongside many of their favorite pastimes, many Academy students are fond of curling up with a good book. Below, students chose some of their favorite books, as well as why the stories are special to them.

“The Outsiders”

Told from the perspective of Ponyboy Curtis, “The Outsiders” follows the rivalry between the Greasers and the Socials. After an incident occurs between the Socials, Curtis and his friend Johnny Cade are forced into hiding.

Jaclyn McCauley (‘19) said, “I love ‘The Outsiders’ because it is such a classic book. For me, it brings back a lot of memories, and it taught me how important family is.”

“Wonder”

“Wonder” depicts the true story of August Pullman, a young boy with a severe facial deformity. When Pullman’s parents decide to put him in school after many years of being homeschooled, Pullman faces the judgement of the other students.

“The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer”

After the death of her best friend in an incident Mara Dyer cannot remember, she moves to Florida with her family. At her new school, Dyer begins to see things that are not there, and she discovers an ability that she did not know she possessed. Along the way, she meets Noah Shaw, a boy who has a peculiar ability of his own.

“The Giver”

“The Giver” is told from the perspective of Jonas, a young boy living in a controlled society that lacks conflict and pain. After being given the job of Receiver of Memory, Jonas discovers things he never knew about his community.

Cozy morning enjoying some coffee and pleasure reading in bed. I read this book almost 10 years ago and when I heard they were turning it into a movie (releasing later this year), I just had to read it again. This book has been sitting on my bookshelf all those years. It brings back so many great memories and I love finding little treasures like the notes I scribbled inside or the bookmark I made for it, still sitting neatly inside. This was the first book that invited me in to a whole new world and got me to feel every kind of emotion. Never had I felt such joy, sadness and anger from a book. All from the viewpoint of a 12 year old boy. This book has always been on the top of my list since then and I highly recommend it. And if you liked Divergent, you'll like this. It will make you feel. <3 #thegiver #thegiverbook #divergent #cozymorning #hopethemoviedoesitjustice #lovethisbooktoomuch #vsco #vscocam #bethechangeyouwishtoseeintheworld #gandhi #quote

A post shared by Lindsay Haag (@lindsayhaag) on

The Harry Potter Series

The “Harry Potter Series,” written by J.K. Rowling, is one of the most well-known series around the world. The series, which consists of seven books, depicts the story of Harry Potter, a young boy who discovers that he is a wizard. The books follow Potter, as well as his friends Ron and Hermione, throughout their years at Hogwarts, as well as his struggle to defeat Voldemort.

Maria Almendares (‘19) said, “I love the ‘Harry Potter Series’ because I like seeing the magic of friendship that shows up throughout the series. I love Hermione and her character because she helps her friends out no matter what.”  

“The Fault in Our Stars”

“The Fault in Our Stars,” written by John Green, depicts the story of Hazel Grace Lancaster, a young girl who has been diagnosed with cancer. Through her cancer support group, she meets Augustus Waters, who is another cancer patient, and the two of them begin to develop a relationship.

Maria Paula Owens (‘20) said, “I thought ‘The Fault in Our Stars’ was a really good book. My favorite part of the book was when Hazel and Augustus went to Amsterdam together.”

“The Book Thief”

Told from the perspective of Death, “The Book Thief” is set within Germany during World War II. Liesel Meminger, a young girl who loves to read, is sent to live with her foster parents. There she meets Rudy, a boy in her neighborhood. Together, they navigate through the turbulent times.