School newspaper of Academy of the Holy Names, Tampa

Achona

• Follow us on Instagram @humansofacademy and Twitter @achonaonline

Quarter Notes salute “Our Heroes” and perform before their largest audience yet

Ms. Melissa Cox

Ms. Melissa Cox

AHN's Quarter Notes make the most of a photo op with an event photographer.

[nggallery id =341 w=50 h=50]

KeTaira Phillips, Creative Media Editor

The Quarter Notes normally showcase their talents at school-wide events such as Christmas shows, the Blessed Marie Rose Dinner, Arts Fest, and dozens of other gatherings. Recently, however, Academy’s show choir took on the challenge of performing in front of their largest audience yet at the Our Heroes Luncheon, held at the Tampa Convention Center on May 23.

The luncheon honored 18 heroes of the police, fire, and paramedic departments of Hillsborough County, Plant City, Tampa, Temple Terrace and University of South Florida. In addition, the host of the event,  Sykes Enterprises, Incorporated, awarded the Coy L. Sykes Memorial Scholarship to eight children of law enforcement and fire rescue personnel working within Hillsborough County.

Standing back stage with a large tech support, stage crew, and the honored guest heroes, the Quarter Notes were prepped and ready to sing the Star Spangled Banner before  1700 luncheon guests. When the time approached for the girls to sing, they lined up behind representatives from the law and safety enforcement agencies from Hillsborough County. Together they marched on stage in two lines with the Quarter Notes in front of the honored heroes. Hearing their cue from the announcer and from an officer holding the American flag high, the girls sang “The Star-Spangled Banner” acappella in two-part harmony.

Not missing a single chord, the young performers received exhuberant applause. Appreciating the work of the girls, the event organizers invited the choir to stay for the duration of the event, seating them at their own tables in which they enjoyed a savory lunch including an entire chocolate cake.

Before the choir left to return to school, they were showered with compliments from their audience.  “I was a choir director myself, and I’ll have you know that your harmonies were spot on! Keep up the good work!”

Quarter Notes who performed included Melissa Alvarado, Arlyn Barlaan, Nasya Blackshear, Ashlyn Bradshaw, Gracie Hancock, Felicia Nelson, Rebecca Parrillo, KeTaira Phillips, Juliana Sowers, and Emilie Ulbricht directed by Mrs. Linda Ruescher and Ms. Melissa Cox.